Timothy Benton | Jan 9, 2019 | 0
Obama Gave Impression Congress Has No Authority or Power
I heard this week that Congress in a subpoena to the FBI to answer questions in regard to an investigation, the FBI refused to come. But is this something new, and does Congress have the right to issue subpoenas?
While many people know that Congress passes laws, not as many have a clue what their duties and authority under the constitution is, to put it in very simple terms: Congress has authority over financial and budgetary matters, through the enumerated power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts, and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States. Over time Congress has added to their power, the Sixteenth Amendment, ratified in 1913, extended the power of taxation to include income taxes. Their greatest power is their authority over the purse, or where government money goes. The complaints we had during the last administration from Congress that their hands were tied concerning Obamacare, their constant complaining that their hands were tied, that was a total fiction, the constitution gave congress control over funding as a check and balance against the Executive Branch, if congress felt the administration was overreaching with Obamacare, they could have easily dried up all expenditures on it, the whole thing would have quickly withered and died, instead they pretended their hands were tied. Of course we saw their true intent when it came time to repeal and replace, they exposed themselves to the American people, they never had any intent on this, they only said what they said to appeal to their constituents, the very people I hope come up this next election reward them accordingly, hopefully in the primaries.
In all the Congress was granted all these powers by the constitution:
- To lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts, and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts, and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
- To borrow money on the credit of the United States;
- To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Native American tribes;
- To establish a uniform rule of naturalization and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;
- To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;
- To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;
- To establish post offices and post roads;
- To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries;
- To constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;
- To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations;
- To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;
- To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;
- To provide and maintain a navy;
- To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;
- To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;
- To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;
- To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles (16 km) square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings.
But there is one power Congress has that presidents over time have chosen to ignore, the last administration may have been worse than all the proceeding administrations. While Obama loved to say he could fix with his pen what Congress wouldn’t with their vote, we found out quickly that the next administration with the same stroke of a pen can undo anything that he had done that way, but the one thing his administration not only ignored but actually showed a contempt for, was the congresses right to investigated corruption, high crimes and overreach of power. It was so bad that we had his head of the Justice department lie to Congress, in fact, had done so time after time.
On May 15, 2013, when House Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies to give testimony on Department of Justice (DOJ) surveillance of reporters, he lied, said none was taking place, we found out that was an outright lie.
You had the case where during the reelection of Obama where Holder by the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies subpoenaed on justice actions on New Black Panthers outside a voting booth, actually tried to intimidate a long time civil rights activist, when question on March 1, 2011, why he did not prosecute, he lied and said he had no preview over that, said the case was handled by career attorneys in the department, that turned out to be a lie.
Holder lied, for the decisions were made by political appointees. J. Christian Adams, a former career DOJ attorney in the Voting Rights Section, testified before the U.S. Civil Rights Commission that it was Associate Attorney General Thomas Perrelli, an Obama political appointee, who overruled a unanimous recommendation for prosecution by Adams and his associates.
Documents obtained by Judicial Watch and a ruling by Judge Reggie B. Walton of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia in response to a suit brought by the group show that “political appointees within DOJ were conferring about the status and resolution of the New Black Panther Party case in the days preceding the DOJ’s dismissal of claims in that case.”
Then the case of Fast and Furious, the Obama administration’s program to “walk” guns across the border and into the hands of Mexican drug cartels in furtherance of its gun control agenda.
“When did you first know about the program officially I believe called Fast and Furious? To the best of your knowledge, what date?” House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa asked Holder in sworn testimony on May 3, 2011. “I’m not sure of the exact date, but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks,” was Holder’s response.
Holder lied: A July 2010 memo shows Michael Walther, head of the National Drug Intelligence Center, told Holder that straw buyers in Fast and Furious “are responsible for the purchase of 1,500 firearms that were then supplied to the Mexican drug trafficking cartels.”
He personally signed off on James Rosen’s warrant, lied to the Congress and judge in the case, said he only wanted to find a leaker, the judge issued the warrant, but he went on and arrested the reporter.
And this does not bring up the blanket seizure of call records, and later how he was charged with contempt of Congress for lying, naturally they did little about it.
But it did not stop with him, we had the Obama administration use the IRS to attack political parties that were either conservative or supporters of Israel, that is in direct violation of the United States Supreme Court’s 1958 ruling in NAACP v. Alabama, the IRS forced businesses to hand over to them names of donors that in conservative or pro Israeli political organizations, when congress tried to get records from the IRS, they first refused to hand them over, then claimed they were all lost, when they subpoenaed the head of the IRS, the Obama Administration replaced her, placed her in another agency, then claimed executive privilege to prevent her from testifying. When they finally were able to get her to testify she pleaded the fifth, at that point the Congress did nothing (that I blame on the weak leadership of the GOP at the time, they had the majority, should have charged her with contempt of court, then forced the release of documents).
But this was only the beginning, we then had Clinton asked for her emails, she refused to testify at first, we had the meeting on the tarmac with Justice and Clinton’s husband, former President Clinton, the claim was they met on the tarmac, in the middle of no place, all to just talking about grand-kids (if anyone believes this, please give me a call, I have some delightful beachfront property to sell you in Death Valley).
Even after Obama left office, we saw Susan Rice when ordered to appear before Congress on her unmasking of Trump transition officials, she claimed it was politically motivated, so refused to comply.
Then the outrage and complaints that Trump somehow stole the election, we now see this all backfiring on the left and the Obama administration and the Clinton associates. What is needed now is for congress to once more assert their powers, issue subpoena’s, if the people will not show up, then maybe it is time to do what the democrats demanded when the Bush administration was in office, and the resistance towards the democratic congress was frustrating the left, they said that the sergeant of arms has the legal authority to go to the person’s house and arrest under the authority of congress, maybe it is time for congress to enact this, I would think if they grabbed Clapper, Holder or Rice, the rest of the ducks would quickly decide that resistance is futile.
Now we know the press would go nuts, but then who cares, this is the same press that has screamed collusion, that was after they gleefully showed that Trump had a 5% chance of winning the election, have now gone to such an extreme we no longer can trust a word they say, the only thing that has ratings lower than them is the dead, that could be due to they are lying 8 feet under.
I want control back to the Congress, I personally am tired of the shenanigans of the members in both houses, what we have today are mad idiots like Maxine Waters threatening to “take out” the president, and Frederica Wilson preying on the widow of a fallen hero, playing on her emotions for press, then when she got what she wanted she ran off to CNN to gleefully give an interview. And when she found out people were calling her out for it, this disgrace of congresswomen was just happy about having her 5 minutes of fame, these people are the ones they need to censor, there really is nothing you can do when their constituents keep ignorantly voting them back into office.
To finish this, as I said, I want control back to Congress and the Senate, a government that is working as it should, but we the people need to do our part as well. If you are voting, you see your elected officials obstructing, back stabbing overseas the administration (McCain), then get them out, they are also part of the problem, they need to go, and do so during the primaries, if we are going to ever get anything done, we have to give the power to do it, and when we do give that power, as we have done now, with a President, control of both houses to the GOP and they still don’t get anything done, don’t give it to the DNC, get rid of the elected officials, look for someone that will.